[Gllug] Samba or Something?

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Jan 4 11:21:53 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:46:57AM +0000, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:
> At the moment the display is done using Active Server Pages (VBScript
> served off an IIS/NT4 machine). The data is polled to the webserver from
> various locations round the network using a C++ program that I've
> kludged together (because I was having problems accessing remote
> locations directly from the IIS server). However, this is a pain to
> maintain and I'm spending a bit of time looking at alternative
> solutions.
>
> One is to create Virtual Directories that point straight to locations
> such as '\\myserver\logfiles" and see if that gives me the direct access
> I need (thus doing away with C++ feeder program). However, since we've
> got a Linux box sitting in the Server Room, calling out for something
> useful to do, I was wondering how to go about accessing those machines
> from Linux.
>
> As you can see from the above, at the moment I'm using Windows to
> connect across to the machines. Therefore, I'm assuming that Samba might
> allow me some way to replicate this access from the Linux box. I'd be
> grateful for suggestions and pointers to further reading that might help
> - particularly things that are focused on this kind of 'look up a
> machine on the network and read some of its files' sort of access, as
> that will help me make a quick evaluation of whether it is worth
> pursing.

Try using the smbmount program to mount the various NT servers on the
Linux box's filesystem. You can then make use of all the facilities
available on the Linux machine to do what you need to do.

There are a couple of gotchas that I've run into using this method,
the main one of which is that occasionally it becomes impossible to
actually read files from the remote server, even though mount reports
that the mount point is still active. smbumounting and the remounting
gets round this, and everything can be checked for using a shell
script from a cron job. Not elegant, but workable.

Yes, I'd send in logs if I were anywhere near that machine, but this
was some time ago in another life^Wjob.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"My dad's this long-haired drug-taking weirdo, hangs out with a
heap of Goths - of COURSE I became a computer geek."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk