[Gllug] OT - NTL issues and ADSL providers

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Jan 21 11:13:51 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 10:06, Jackson, Harry wrote:

> There is absolutely no reason why they cannot thread another one unless
> there is no room (for those interested cables are blown down ducts using
> air). I think the standard today at least with colt is to lay more than one
> cable (144 fibres) so I doubt they have run out of Bandwidth if they have
> done this. Even if they did not lay this many I doubt if they only laid a
> couple. If they have laid one cable I would say that they have also laid
> enough duct to run a couple more as this is standard practice.

When we got fibre put in for us by McNicholas we did have to get a
trench dug (just a small one!).
But in that trench they laid a polythene pipe, diameter around 10cm.
This is split internally into four by plastic dividers.
In one quadrant we put bundles of fibre, totalling 96 fibres.
(I'm not sure how many fibres per cable).
In another we have lots of copper pairs.
The other two are empty and have ropes left in them as pull-throughs
for future use.
As Harry says, standard practice for future expansion.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk