[Gllug] LateX/EPS/PS experts?

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Jan 15 14:54:04 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 14:07, Anthony Leung wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a friend who has spent what seems like the last three weeks of
> his life trying to figure out how to insert graphs that he plotted in
> Excel into a Latex report write-up: he thought he may as well take the
> opportunity to learn how to use Latex as he aims to go into Physics
> research and this would be a good skill to it.

That takes me back...
I wrote my thesis in TeX a long time ago,
actually using a macro package called TEXSIS
http://www.texsis.org/
I should have chosen LaTex of course, and would do so
these days.

I spent many a happy hour (sarcasm) resizing EPS files to get the graphs
put in correctly. Seriously, those sort of diagrams took me
days of effort to get right.
I've forgotten all that I knew about that sort of thing though,
but I'll be willing to help.

Off the top of my head, why not use pnm/pbm tools
or the Gimp?

giftopnm| pnmscale | pnmtops
Or something like that.

Does the Gimp not do a good enough job of reading in JPGs
and saving as EPS?
I just tried it with a jpg file, and got this as the header

of an EPS file:%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%Creator: GIMP PostScript file plugin V 1.12 by Peter Kirchgessner
%%Title: /home/johnh/images/vince1.ps
%%CreationDate: Tue Jan 15 14:49:23 2002
%%DocumentData: Clean7Bit
%%LanguageLevel: 2
%%Pages: 1
%%BoundingBox: 14 14 28815 21615
%%EndComments

To get the figure sized correctly you can
play around with the BoundingBox

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk