[Gllug] Advocacy required.

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Jan 4 13:41:58 UTC 2002

At 14:23 04/01/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Just had a chap on the phone requesting Linux help. Nothing unusual
>except he is a news editor for Channel five and wants to do a feature
>sometime next week if news is slow. (No more wars breakout, no B list
>celeb gets divorced etc.)
>
>He needs help with loading Linux onto a PC. He does not seem to be able
>to get to the BIOS. I guess it may be an old 486 that the IT dept have
>given him, while what he needs is a Linux machine for a week so he can
>see that it is a non M$ machine and can do everything. He would like
>assistance this weekend if possible.
>
>Can anyone help?          Anyone particularly photogenic ?

Can't help but at the risk of starting another argument, if he is wanting
to see easy of use and installation then can I suggest Mandrake as it is
particularly fluffy, hardware detection seems to work well and installation
problem free.  Although, if he has been given an old machine then maybe a
graphical installer will be too memory intensive.

I guess if someone is going to set it up for him then you could choose any
distro but I expect part of the review might be ease of installation and
configuration.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk