[Gllug] Working with Linux in the UK.

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Sun Jan 6 20:15:48 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Gordon Joly wrote:

> http://www.it.jobserve.com/jobserve/homepage.asp
>
> and came up with....
>
> "Linux" and "London" - 85 jobs
> "Linux" - 282 jobs
>
> Hence, proportionally (on the basis of population, assuming one fifth
> to one quarter of the UK population live in Greater London), I would
> suggest that the spread across the country is the same. That is the
> density of Linux jobs in the same in London as anywhere else.

They may well be evenly spread - I personally suspect there are more Linux
jobs per head in London (particularly Soho/West end, the City and the
Docklands) then anywhere else in the UK.  The point is there are typically
some very experienced people chasing those 85 jobs, whereas outside London
being able to read a zone file and install a kernel upgrade is respected,
say with 1 years comercial experience or "I used it a lot at college".
Totally different world.  When I was applying for jobs in London I found
it very hard even getting as far as a telephone interview.

> Interesting result. Anybody go any real data on this?
>
> Gordo
>
> P.S. http://www.it.jobserve.com/ runs IIS:-)

Don't care :-)  Not my problem at all.  What matters is the wide range of
"real" jobs (i.e. not there simply for CV-harvesting purposes) and the
close links with recruitment agenies who actually call you back and put
real effort into fixing you up.

Regards,
Bill.

--