[Gllug] ICQ on linux

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 19:15:00 UTC 2002

On Friday 04 January 2002 18:21, you wrote:
> > A hunt on google shows lots of people have encountered this
> > problem (but nobody seems to report how to get round it).
>
> I've had this problem for months and months, nothing fixed it,
> nothing (at my end) changed - no, really, nothing did change....
> it's on a read only filesystem :) But I digress.
>
> I found the ONLY reliable ICQ client to be, unfortunatly, ICQ.  You
> could try one of the older versions with wine, or similar.... I
> have had NO joy in getting anything to work under linux, reliably.
> Sorry.
>
> jabber was my best bet, and that had a 60/40 yay/nay rate. :-/
>
> 	-Darran
I have had quite a lot of success with the latest version of licq
(1.04). The reason for the losses is that ICQ keep changing the
details of their protocol but don't tell anybody, so the Open-Source
guys take a while to figure out whats changed before they can release
an update to fix it.
Check out http://www.licq.org. Apparently they have a beta release
that is ICQ 2001b compatible. Maybe they are getting some help from
Mirabilis. Anyone else know for sure?
Stephen
--
Stephen Harker