[Gllug] Swap file size

Jim Cheetham jim.gllug at gonzul.org
Thu Jan 31 16:38:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:48:55PM +0000, Lee Blackwell wrote:
> For my Sun servers, with 4Gb RAM I use a 1Gb swap file. As there is
> usually 50Gb or more online then I don't really worry about 1Gb of space
> that might be unused.

Errm, but when a Sun box dies and dumps memory, doesn't it stream it all
into swap space?
So if you ever needed to do dump analysis to find out what your box was
doing when it went down, you'd need at least swap = ram ...

And /tmp is usually provided from swap space, iirc ... so swap > ram would
probably be nice ...

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk