[Gllug] OT filthy lucre (was Geforce2 a long time ago)

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Jan 25 17:47:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:32:49PM +0000, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> William Palfreman(william at palfreman.com)@Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 09:18:52PM -0600:
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Roger Wernersson wrote:
> > It is of and from people.  It's two sides of the same human coin... and
> > you can't be against one without being against the other.
>

> err, are you saying, you cant be against money, without being also
> against people?  errr, i know a few anti-cap people who'd probably be
> able to argue the point a lot better.
>
> atually, i dont think it's money thats the problem.  it's more inflation
> and credit that cause problems.  how is it possible that money can be
> invented out of thin air, by a bunch of mathmaticians?
>
> hmm, funnily enough, is'nt it islam that prohibits making money off
> money borrowed?

I think the Bible forbids usuary (sp?)
Or at least the Christain church used to - this is how the Jews and
later the Quakers made so much money from banking - they were already
condemed byt the church and were forbidden from many jobs.

The current system of world trade is based upon inflation and growth
(less than 5% (or so) annual growth of GDP is seen as a big problem !

One of the fundamental aspects of Green politics is that this dependancy
on growth is unsustainable - ie we live in a finite world and need to
base our economy on that fact, try and continually improve standard of
living without everyone having to 'buy more stuff'

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk