[Gllug] This is terrible

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Fri Jan 25 00:14:18 UTC 2002

Axel Segebrecht(axel.segebrecht at adamandeve.it)@Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:50:40PM -0000:

> I don't understand why you are so upset about it.
>
> INHO life consists of more than just writing code or ordering pizza.
> I do however understand that the volume was upsetting you.
>
> I see two solutions:
>
> a) Go to www.political-debate.org or alt.philosophy (etc)
> b) Strictly forbit anything but "on-topic" subjects and pay someone
> to monitor the list 24/7 (or spend some years hacking AI to do it for u)

 c) ignore the thread

> My suggestion is to move subjects when they arise and everyone keeps
> an eye out for themselves (ie: suggest a different forum)

yeah, but then the thread looses momentum, and the audience changes.

then, again, have you ever read london.pm?  you'd be hard pushed to find
a thread about perl.

> Axel
>
> > I've only posted to this list twice in the year I've been a member but
> > today I deleted all digests before they got downloaded because there
> > was all sorts of rubbish going about.

i like to consider this list a community, sometimes we go way off
tangent, but then it makes for more interesting reading.

> > GLLUG is not the place to discuss the issues of nuclear war, potential
> > "solutions" to world political problems etc.

well, it's not as if started off a thread, it's an OT offshoot.
personally, i quite enjoy them.  each to there own.

> > Please take them else where and quit filling up my mailbox with
> > ammateur political and religious philosophy. I that's what I wanted I'd
> > listen to Today in Parliament on Radio 4.
> >
> > Get a grip, shut up, and write some code!!!!

even ammateur debating has to start somewhere.  I could say, how can i
write code, when there's so much wrong in the world.  but i wont.

maybe this isnt the correct forum, for people like me, or maybe it is,
if you've only posted twice in the last year, then you should realise
threads go OT every now and again.  this is just another example of it.
live with it.  it aint like your being tortured to read it.

-v

--
PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 The problem with a system that needs competent managers
 is that it needs competent managers.
 --Graydon Saunders

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk