[Gllug] Happy 2002, and silly question.

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jan 7 11:53:54 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:23:53PM +0000, Formi wrote:

>  What happen is that the mail ended up in /var/mail/formi,
>  usually it is not delivered locally because I have a .forward file
>  in /home/formi pointing to the other machine.
>
>  So it is still sitting in there, mails that have arrived after I
>  started postfix have arrived to the laptop.
>
>  So, can somebody teach me how to get that mail sent to the other machine?

>From the procmail manpage:

Procmail can also be invoked to postprocess an already filled system
mailbox.  This can be useful if you don't want to or can't use a
$HOME/.forward file (in which case the following script could
periodically be called from within cron(1), or whenever you start
reading mail):

              #!/bin/sh

              ORGMAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

              if cd $HOME &&
               test -s $ORGMAIL &&
               lockfile -r0 -l1024 .newmail.lock 2>/dev/null
              then
                trap "rm -f .newmail.lock" 1 2 3 13 15
                umask 077
                lockfile -l1024 -ml
                cat $ORGMAIL >>.newmail &&
                 cat /dev/null >$ORGMAIL
                lockfile -mu
                formail -s procmail <.newmail &&
                 rm -f .newmail
                rm -f .newmail.lock
              fi
              exit 0

Dunno if you're filtering your mail using procmail, but that might
work for you., esp if you have a rule to call your .forward :)

Happy New Year, BTW! :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Minsky

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk