[Gllug] Building Gnumeric

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Jan 10 08:46:29 UTC 2002

>	Want to install it in a non-standard place

Relocatable RPMs would solve this problem, but virtually no one (even
Red Hat themselves) build relocatable RPMs. That's just criminal. Even
in the Windows world, it's unthinkable to not give the user the option
of choosing where to install additional software.

I reported this as a bug to Corel during the betas of CorelDRAW for
Linux, but they chose to ignore it. Which meant that I had to use
some clumsy symbolic linking to an empty filesystem just to get the
thing to install at all. When I build my systems, I generally size
them pretty accuractely. I know how much space the base OS takes up,
and (particularly for /usr, which I have mounted ro) don't usually
allow much extra. Additional software is installed into a separate
filesystem, where it's easily managed (and migrated between OS
releases). But vendors that choose non-relocatable RPMs screw
this up. Just one reason why, like Darran, I generally compile
things myself.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk