[Gllug] Greenhouse emissions (was Geforce2)

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Jan 24 17:55:50 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 17:41, David Damerell wrote:

> Two nuclear devices _have_ been detonated in large cities, with a total
> death toll of 110,000 at the time, rising to 340,000 five years
> later. Presumably you think any means would justify the end of
> overthrowing the nation responsible?

The history of the Manhattan Project is something I happen to have
taken a little bit of an interest in.

As someone said earlier, it is all well and good for
us to apply 20/20 hindsight.

At the time, the politicians responsible were faced with an
enemy who were not about to give up - have you ever read any of
the horrible accounts of Guadalcanal?
They weighed up the effects of the atomic bomb, and the shock value
that its use would cause, versus the inevitable casualties that an
invasion of the home islands would cause.

I won't drone on and on about this - suffice to say that there is
a lot of history here - formation of Bulletin of the Atomic
Scientists etc.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk