[Gllug] Debian gateways

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Jan 31 11:53:40 UTC 2002

On 1/31/02, 11:34:44 AM, "Jackson, Harry" <HJackson at colt-telecom.com> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Debian gateways:

> I consider myself very much a baby geek with Linux but I have learnt more
in
> the last couple of weeks using Debian from the console than I ever have
with
> redhat or the other distributions that I have tried. I think that this is
> partly to do with the fact that I am running it purely console based and
the
> application management is unparalleled in its simplicity. I seem to be
able
> to get on with the innards of Linux when not confounded by the GUI and
> wondering if I have the correct stuff installed.

> I was always scared to move to Debian because I imagined it was a b at st@rd
> use but have now realised that it would have been much to my advantage if
> had tried it when I started out.

I hate to say "I told you so" - not really: "I told you so!".  Not about
Debian - IMO a person's favourite distribution is a bit like their
favourite colour, largely a matter of personal taste - but about working
at the console.

> For anyone in two minds about trying it, give it a go and after you have
got
> to grips with apt and dselect then I think most people would love it.

See how you feel about it after longer use.  Each of the major
distributions has its strengths and weaknesses and some are more usable
for some tasks than others.  In the end the differences are far less than
what they have in common.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk