[Gllug] java editor

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Jul 1 19:56:09 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:04:43PM -0400, SteveC wrote:
> I'd like a nice highlighting editor with a black background. This appears
> to be mission impossible in that
>
> java editors are not anti aliased
> kde editors are all C/C++ oriented
> or if I want a black background the editor is just a mess
>
> any ideas?

IntelliJ do the highly recommended (by others, I've not used it. Yet)
IDEA java editor. Amongst its other talents is a refactoring
capability, which you might find useful. The cost of 400 USD seems a
little steep for a personal user, but smug professional programmers on
mailing list look sniffily at those and mutter about contracting
rates. Besides, if it works as well it threatens, I might be
persuaded.

http://www.intellij.com/

Eclipse has just reached version 2, and also can be plugged into
JBoss.

http://www.eclipse.org/

> Maybe there is a way to automatically invert the font-lock colours in
> emacs or something?

Undoubtedly, Nix will mention something about editing your .emacs file
to include something like

(add-hook 'java-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)

but who am I to utter this foolishness? :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights.  I hit the gas,
people behind me stop, and I'm gone.  -- Steven Wright

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk