[Gllug] java editor

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Mon Jul 1 21:37:57 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:56:09PM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:04:43PM -0400, SteveC wrote:
> > I'd like a nice highlighting editor with a black background. This appears
> > to be mission impossible in that
> >
> > java editors are not anti aliased
> > kde editors are all C/C++ oriented
> > or if I want a black background the editor is just a mess
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> IntelliJ do the highly recommended (by others, I've not used it. Yet)
> IDEA java editor. Amongst its other talents is a refactoring
> capability, which you might find useful. The cost of 400 USD seems a
> little steep for a personal user, but smug professional programmers on
> mailing list look sniffily at those and mutter about contracting
> rates. Besides, if it works as well it threatens, I might be
> persuaded.

Umm they occasionally do offers for personal users around 130 USD IIRC.
That's about what I got the copy here for.

> http://www.intellij.com/
>
> Eclipse has just reached version 2, and also can be plugged into
> JBoss.
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/

The win32 version is closely matching idea, and eclipse is open source.
I've completely failed to get the gtk2 version working, it's build stuff
is horrendous (well to me),  I've just upgraded gnome so going to try
again.  Also stl-carbon is not yet done and the gtk is only x86 (haven't
had a chance on my ppc linux box yet).

I'm just waiting for the dav (and mod_dav) to get delta-v so I can
replace VisualAge and SourceSafe at work.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk