[Gllug] GPG key expiry

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 16:09:32 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:48:20PM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> Note that 2048 bits is essentially secure forever,
> assuming no fundamental advances in factoring algorithms (there
> isn't enough energy in the universe to brute force factor a 2048 bit
> number).

there isnt enough energy in the entire lifetime of the sun to put a
minimum-energy 256-bit counter through all permutations. however, noone in
their right mind would brute-force a public key as there are, and will
always be, more efficient algorithms (factoring).

with the advent of quantum computing you can kiss that all goodbye, as no
length, even a megabyte, key would be secure.

cya,

matt

--
"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the
people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk