[Gllug] El Reg story

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Tue Jul 16 12:19:16 UTC 2002

> From: gllug-admin at linux.co.uk [mailto:gllug-admin at linux.co.uk]On Behalf
> Of Alain Williams
>
> Yes, but then read this one about Bill being parachuted into Peru to try &
> rescue that country from the evils of Open Source - aided by a gift of
> $550k - presumably from his charity.
>
> 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26207.html

I did say they're very good at selling to Government didn't I? I suspect
it's the general lack of celebrity, mediocre pay, and generally low morale
that makes a visit from His Gatesness such an effective sales tactic.

Watching politicians scramble at a photo op is quite disgusting.

Against this sort of tactic, Linux (and other OSes) have to be subtle and
quiet - much like Linux has been doing extremely successfully for some time.
Leave big announcements to marketing organisations and add a few hundred
users a day, every day. I suspect that this same silence makes FUD
particularly effective, but the Linux and IBM partnership have shrugged it
off so far.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk