[Gllug] Performance Tweaking of SCSI tape drives

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 24 08:16:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 09:55, Huw Lynes wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2002 19:31, you wrote:

> > it is possible that the higher figure you mention is with software
> > compression. so its actually only transfering max 10Mbit over the
> > SCSI bus, but say 16Mbit of data but in compressed form...
>
> It seems unlikely. On the SGI boxes we talk to the tape using mt and
> tar. And I should have written MB not Mb as I was talking about bytes
> not bits.

I shouldn't chip in here,
but IIRC the specs for DTFs are quoted uncompressed - they really
are pretty impressive beasts.
I think sony claim a sustained rate of 24MB/sec (I could be wrong).
The tapes are the size of laptops, mind!

BTW, Googling for this just turned up this rather nice site
http://www.storagesearch.com/

IIRC, the biscuit is taken with an even bigger Sony drive, used by some
astronomy experiment in Japan, The tapes are the size of tea trays.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk