[Gllug] (infra red) webcam

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 18:37:36 UTC 2002

On Mon 29 Jul, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Sat 27 Jul, Chris Bell made the following spurious claims:
>
> >    I have heard that a computer recording may not be admissable evidence
> > unless you can prove that it is original and has not been edited, and that
> > some forms of video compression have been claimed to be a form of editing,
> > as each frame is partly compiled using other frames.
>
> But I imagine it would be enough for the coppers to work out who it is
> and further their investigation.  The footage would be enough to get a
> warrant and, particularly if fingerprints are on record, they should
> be able to get there.
>
> There's also the notoriety of the case.  In Sydney last year a guy did
> exactly this and posted the footage on a web site.  The papers picked
> it up and ran it on the front page.  Not sure if they caught the
> purpertrators but they were CLEARLY filmed ripping off his whole
> place.  Weirdly they didn't take his computer!
>
> Check out the awesome "Motion" software for this application.

   The arguments I quoted were being used in court a few months ago,
although I did not hear the outcome. VHS recordings of standard PAL may be
awful, but they are not compressed in the same way. The police often believe
they know the culprit, but they have to make the evidence stick in court.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk