[Gllug] USB hot plugging etc.

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Jul 29 18:27:19 UTC 2002

Hi peoples,

I've got my spanky new Pentium 233 Laptop and an external USB hard disc. I'd
like to setup a bunch of partitions on the USB disc so that I can boot from
it with the use of a boot disc (or even from a DOS script on my internal
hard disc).

Yes, I know performance will suck, but it's the utility rather than speed
that I'm looking for.

After booting from the SuSE 7.3 CD I've installed onto the USB disc; but now
I'm scratching my head about how to build said boot disc, or even boot from
the USB drive at all (not supported by the BIOS). I'm lost in a maze of web
documents that all seem a little bit relevant.

My guess is that loadlin is a good starting point, but from there I have no
idea how to configure the boot disc to do what I need.

Hints, and pointers to relevant docs welcomed.

Thanks,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk