[Gllug] ipchains and iptables again

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Mon Jul 8 19:56:00 UTC 2002

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I fixed up ipchains on one machine at one end of the network (the ppp
> connection to the internet), so thanks, for all those that offered advice
> before.
>
> But I still have a problem at the other end - a wireless node.
>
> This was setup, at configuration time, to only allow ssh and http packets to
> pass and - as I have now discovered - all that was through ipchains.
>
> (This is a custom built 2.4.18 kernel over an RH 7.3 distro)
>
> But when I run ipchains -L on the box I get this:
>

> [root at electra root]# ipchains -L
> ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel
>

> Yet when I run iptables (which is compiled into the kernel) - I get this:
>
> [root at electra root]# /sbin/service iptables start
> Flushing all current rules and user defined chains: modprobe: Can't locate
> module ip_tables
> iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
> you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Clearing all current rules and user defined chains: modprobe: Can't locate
> module ip_tables
> iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
> you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>                                                            [FAILED]
> Applying iptables firewall rules:                          [  OK  ]
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>

> Is this because RH expects a modularised iptables and not a built in version?
> (I can't get the kernel to compile packet filtering as a module).

I really don't understand why RedHat do this
they seem to wrap everything in impenetrable shell scripts (well this
one isn't too bad but why bother)

the service script just runs /etc/init.d/iptables - so read this script
for more info

but first run `iptables -L`

if iptables has been built properly it should output

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

if no rules are set...

also worth running is lsmod - just to verify which modules are loaded

what is in your /etc/sysconfig/iptables ?

it may be this that is causing problems

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk