[Gllug] Exim-based disclaimer filter

Martyn Drake martyn at martyn-drake.com
Tue Jul 9 05:56:55 UTC 2002

From: "Mike Brodbelt" <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk>

> While you are, IMHO, correct about the appropriate place to put this,
> the sad reality of that many lawyer types today insist on disclaimers,
> and insist that they be slapped on anything outgoing, without the user's
> control. Most MUA's can't be easily configured to deny the user access
> to the signature, and so aren't really suitable for this. I have one
> friend who runs a sendmail site, and was forced to get libmilter working
> to add disclaimers to outgoing messages. His company was ready to
> replace the entire mail system with Exchange if he couldn't provide
> their legal boilerplate.

The only reason that I have to do this is because the company insurers
absolutely insist on all outgoing email having a disclaimer on them.  The
thing is - why don't we just have a disclaimer on all of our paper
correspondance or have to read it aloud during telephone calls?  What
happens if we're corresponding with someone in another language - does it
still make any sense to do so?

Oh well, I cannot fight the insurers on this one  :(

> To the original posters question - while I can't provide an easy answer
> for Exim, you should look at adding the disclaimer as a plain text
> attachment to every message - that way you're less likely to screw up
> other things. Take look at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/ for
> some ideas.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Although it's intended as a Sendmail milter
plug-in, I'm sure I can get it to work standalone and see what happens.

Regards,

    Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk