[Gllug] Question on /dev/shm

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Jul 10 19:08:15 UTC 2002

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:16:47AM +0100, John Southern wrote:
>  > >  > Thoughts about NOT mounting /dev/shm, to stop users using  this
>  > >  > as a free scratch area.
>  > > You could always just limit the maximum size using the 'size' mount
>  > > option.
>  > Could you resize as you go along using swap space if a task needed it?
>
> Not without a remount afaik
>
>         Dave.

tempfs only uses the memory it needs

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt

tmpfs puts everything into the kernel internal caches and grows and
shrinks to accommodate the files it contains and is able to swap
unneeded pages out to swap space. It has maximum size limits which can
be adjusted on the fly via 'mount -o remount ...'

max is just the max size it will grow to

it's quite neat I have used it for a root over nfs system

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk