[Gllug] (infra red) webcam

Murray murray at minty.org
Sat Jul 27 16:52:58 UTC 2002

ok, so having narrowly escaped being burgled for the second time, and having
recently got myself a nice adsl connection, I was pondering the idea of a
little homebrew cctv.

I was thinking a couple of usb webcams, plus some motion detection software
http://motion.technolust.cx/working.shtml
and constructive use of ftp.

not full proof, but better than nothing against the sods who decided to kick
in my front door, on a fairly busy street in the middle of the day.  I
imagine not admissible in court either, but what the heck.

so...any recommendations for a good usb (web)cam?  Specifically something
that can handle poor lighting conditions as well as it can.  On a related
note, anyone know of any linux friendly nite-site/infra red cam?  I'm
figuring that might be a bit ott, when a decent security lamp might suffice.

murray.

ps. also considering the really cheap option of just putting up some
"protected by cctv" stickers....

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk