[Gllug] El Reg story

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Jul 17 13:49:57 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:19:16PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> > 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26207.html
>
> I did say they're very good at selling to Government didn't I? I suspect
> it's the general lack of celebrity, mediocre pay, and generally low morale
> that makes a visit from His Gatesness such an effective sales tactic.

It doesn't matter how much of a good sales man you are if your customer
can not afford the product.  This article in Linux journal, Covers the
dialogue between the Pakistani Government and PLUG.  When your average
yearly wage is $300 Linux and Open Office make a lot of sense.  Some
NGOs and charities over here should sort their sorry selves out and
adopt open source technology a lot quicker than they are doing, before
the people they are meant to be helping out get ahead of them.  No bad
thing in my book.

> Against this sort of tactic, Linux (and other OSes) have to be subtle and
> quiet - much like Linux has been doing extremely successfully for some time.
> Leave big announcements to marketing organisations and add a few hundred
> users a day, every day. I suspect that this same silence makes FUD
> particularly effective, but the Linux and IBM partnership have shrugged it
> off so far.

The above article I think illustrates your point rather well.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk