[Gllug] El Reg story

John HEARNS john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 17 14:52:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 15:49, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 01:19:16PM +0100, Richard Cottrill wrote:
> > > 	http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/26207.html
> >
> It doesn't matter how much of a good sales man you are if your customer
> can not afford the product.  This article in Linux journal, Covers the
> dialogue between the Pakistani Government and PLUG.  When your average
> yearly wage is $300 Linux and Open Office make a lot of sense.  Some
> NGOs and charities over here should sort their sorry selves out and
> adopt open source technology a lot quicker than they are doing, before
> the people they are meant to be helping out get ahead of them.  No bad
> thing in my book.

Jim, you speak sense.

How about we (I use the word in a loose sense!) set up the demonstration
or advocacy system we once discussed?
I wonder if at Linux Expo there will be visitors from charities,
local government, hospitals etc?

Maybe we set up a decent spec PC.
Put a Windows-themed desktop on it, with Ximian Evolution and
OpenOffice. And Gnome-meeting for the visual factor.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk