[Gllug] creating bootable cdroms from .iso images

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Jul 25 07:11:21 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 19:50, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:59:17AM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> >

> I have been wondering of the practicality of using an ADSL connection to
> do offsite backups by sharing backup services between groups of SOHO
> users such as the groups mentioned above.  I figure that after the
> intial full backup the following incremental backups particularly if
> done in the small hours would be practical.  Anybody care to show me the
> stupidity and impracticality of my suggestion?

Jim, its a b***** good suggestion.
Run with it!

Seriously, the "big boys" are offering services like this.
A few months ago, I was talking to someone whose company was selling
services for big backups and data warehousing over the Net -
as I recall they had data centres in Japan, West coast and East coast
USA. Promised to mirror your data to two centres.
I think the company was called Level 7. There are others.

But nobody in the SOHO space, AFAIK.
(OK - there is Apple's iDrive - and now that they are going to charge
for that there is a backup service being floated.
And I'm sure there are similar PC-based internet drives)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk