[Gllug] Remote backups

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 24 21:04:00 UTC 2002

>For offsite machines without a removal backup I've found that using rsync
>over ssh works quite well. Theoretical maximium is 900MB/hour, but you'll
>can probably get about half that if it's lots of small files.

Out by a factor of 10. ADSL will get you 90MB/hour upload speed, which
is really the limiting factor for remote backups over ADSL. Incremental
backups are just about feasible, depending on the volume of data that
changes each day, but the initial full backup is prohibitively slow.
Of course, you could do the full backup via some other means, but if
you have a tape or other such device, then you wouldn't need to be
doing remote backups over ADSL in the first place...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk