[Gllug] wireless

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 11:59:09 UTC 2002

 To do it on the cheap, you will need a cardbus or pcmcia to isa pci card,
 and a wireless card to plug into that.

 That is the setup I have at home, a sitecom wl010 pci-cardbus card that
 I got for 40 quid from PC Works in Tottenham ST and a Silver Orinoco
 that I bought through ebay in the states, I paid $40.

 I haven't tested it with more than one client, so I can't comment about
 that, if you plan to have multiple clients you an consider an AP,
 prices are much higher...

 Do check consume.net, and/or subscribe to the list.

 And remenber, I still owe you a beer.

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Daniel Andersson wrote:

> hiya people
>
> i'm a total newbie when it comes to wireless stuff, so i thought i'd ask you
> guys :)
>
> i've got a mac running mac os x with a network card by the tv downstairs
> (going to be my divx/svcd player)
> and actual network and my broadband connection is upstairs
> i don't want to put in a long cable from downstairs to upstairs
> so i was thinking about buying something wireless
>
> so what should i buy? want something cheap..
> and don't really need more than 10mbit..
>
> thanks in advance :)
>
> / d

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk