[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Jul 23 19:23:59 UTC 2002

I have just re-installed my home LAN from scratch to fix (rather that
understand) the following:

After a while (a month or so) my server (which is running SuSE 8.0 with
"Default without office" but runlevel set to 3) seriously slows down when
serving NFS, but provides all other n/work services (well, ping, NIS mainly,
but rusers occasionally) with no problem. Very shortly after that, it becomes
impossible to mount NFS shares. The errors seem to be random - I get "no
route to host" (accessing by IP and ping is fine); "RPC - permission denied"
and "RPC timeout" about evenly on any of four clients. Get this - mount fails
on boot or using autofs, but some (not all) manual mounts work (whether I use
mount -a, mount <local directory> or a full mount stmnt!)

Once the slowdown or mount failure is evident on one client, it spontaneously
appears on EVERY client.

I figured I might have a rootkit / trojan etc. So I took away the data drives
and rebuilt everything (re-partitioning and formating every drive) from DVD
bootdisk.

Now, three days later, same problem arises.

I'm lost, any ideas as to where to look (and what the information I may find
means) would be most appreciated!

If someone wants/can come and look at what's happening, even?

Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk