[Gllug] Argos site

Dave Jones davej at suse.de
Wed Jul 31 17:05:34 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:55:44PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:

 > >Not being a bigot, just wondering how a blind person would expect to use a
 > >website anyway?
 >
 > Bad option; via a screen reader under Windoze. Good option; via lynx,
 > w3m or links with a screen reader or Braille display, or via Emacs-w3
 > and Emacsspeak.
 >
 > You should not need to be told this. The existence of text browsers is
 > not exactly a secret.

There were at least two blind people at the Ottawa Linux Symposium
this year, including Nicolas Pitre, One of the ARM kernel developers.
(Who I had no idea was blind). Reading high traffic lists like
Linux-kernel must be a real nightmare with braille equipment
and/or speech units. I think I'd go insane if I had to *listen*
to some of those loonies as well as read their wibble.

Linux is aparently coming on in leaps and bounds in terms of
accessability, but there's still a whole bunch of areas that need
improving, both in kernel space, and userspace.

        Dave

--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk