[Gllug] [OT] Web hosting

John HEARNS john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Jul 17 10:54:41 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 12:31, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> On Wed 17 Jul, tet at accucard.com made the following spurious claims:
>
> > There are several ISPs offering web space with a database. Freedom 2 Surf
> > (http://www.f2s.net) give you 20MB web space, a 5MB MySQL database, and
> > php and perl scripting, for example.
>
> Are there any ISPs running databases that pass the ACID test?  i.e.,
> databases that won't lose data?  Perhaps someone running Postgres?

At the UKUUG meeting there was a very good talk on MySQL,
from the horse's mouth.

I'm no database guru, but David Axmark did discuss ACID.
Maybe he fudged it, but IIRC he did say that MySQL passes this
test, and my notes seem to confirm this.
(I should say that I like MySQL)

Just looked on the conference CD, but the talk  isn't there.

Quick Googling turns up that the latest mySQL must include the
innnodb table handler to be ACID compliant.
This is getting beyond me.

But it's time for a good old flame war on the list anyway -
let the database bigot flames rise.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk