[Gllug] [OT] Web hosting

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jul 17 11:08:23 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 12:54:41PM +0200, John HEARNS wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 12:31, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> > On Wed 17 Jul, tet at accucard.com made the following spurious claims:
> >
> > > There are several ISPs offering web space with a database. Freedom 2 Surf
> > > (http://www.f2s.net) give you 20MB web space, a 5MB MySQL database, and
> > > php and perl scripting, for example.
> >
> > Are there any ISPs running databases that pass the ACID test?  i.e.,
> > databases that won't lose data?  Perhaps someone running Postgres?
>
> At the UKUUG meeting there was a very good talk on MySQL,
> from the horse's mouth.
>
> I'm no database guru, but David Axmark did discuss ACID.
> Maybe he fudged it, but IIRC he did say that MySQL passes this
> test, and my notes seem to confirm this.
> (I should say that I like MySQL)

AFIR he said that no database truely pass all the ACID tests 'cos if it did
it would be hopelessly slow - so thay all fudge it to some extent.

The message that I got was that MySql was not completly buzzword compliant,
but that it did what their customers wanted.

That is a valid point. What do you really want from s/ware ? You could point out
that M$ word has heaps of features that few people use - and call it bloatware.
However, the comment can also be used to divert valid criticism of lack of important
features -- caveat emptor.

> Just looked on the conference CD, but the talk  isn't there.
>
> Quick Googling turns up that the latest mySQL must include the
> innnodb table handler to be ACID compliant.
> This is getting beyond me.
>

> But it's time for a good old flame war on the list anyway -
> let the database bigot flames rise.

OK : What is wrong with cards and a knitting needle ?

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk