[Gllug] Performance Tweaking of SCSI tape drives

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Jul 23 23:29:37 UTC 2002

Huw Lynes(huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk)@Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:28:22PM +0100:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently playing with a Sony DTF-2 drive. I've got it up and
> running using mt, tar and the standard st driver. At the moment I'm
> getting about 8Mb/s write speed. I know the drive should easily be
> capable of twice that.
>
> After reading the man page for mt I feel that this tape drive stuff is
> all black magic. I was hoping someone could tell me which particular
> breed of goat I should be sacrificing in order to get better
> performance.

hmmm.  i think this might be dependant upon compression.  vendors
typically give 'best' possible values.

have you tried the device on similar hw with a different OS?  maybe your
problem lies with the OS you are using.  as i recall, arent there a
plethora of device names that can be used?  some of which used
compression, others which do not..

i recomend the uzbek black, it has the ability to go unseen in low light
conditions, and makes and excellent sacrificial donation to your $god.
availability may be an issue tho.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Been over the edge for yonks