[Gllug] Performance Tweaking of SCSI tape drives

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 08:09:23 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 00:29, you wrote:
> have you tried the device on similar hw with a different OS?

Only on Irix, so different hardware. On irix there is actually a tape
drive configuration file. There does not seem to anything similar under
linux.

> maybe
> your problem lies with the OS you are using.  as i recall, aren't
> there a plethora of device names that can be used?  some of which
> used compression, others which do not..

There are indeed. I haven't the faintest idea what they mean. I think I
will have try and understand the man page for st and mt. Plus I'll go
through the SCSI readmes. I was kind of hoping to avoid that.

> i recommend the uzbek black, it has the ability to go unseen in low
> light conditions, and makes and excellent sacrificial donation to
> your $god. availability may be an issue tho.

The Poland St goat dealer usually has some in stock. I will have to buy
two though, one for the tape drive and another one for our NFS servers.
Actually the NFS servers might need something stronger. I wonder if
anyone would notice the IT student dissapearing.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk