[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

Ian bredroll at atari.org
Wed Jul 24 17:50:28 UTC 2002

Hmm,

i can recall having similar bother on my lan, i tracked it down to a
dodgy cronjob that updated the nis (hosts map) from the servers dns
records, the cronjob was on a redhat system that recompiled the nis maps
and restarted (instead of reloading) the nis server, so the nis client
lost its binding, and the /etc/nsswitch.conf thingee was set to
nis,named,files so waited for nis to timeout before doing anything,

i suspect you may have a similar sort of thing,

when you experience the problem, on your workstations try running
rpcinfo -p hostname (i think, please correct me) to see if it can see
any rpc services, if it does it will likly see the nfs but not ypbind.

as how to fix it? um, i dont recall how i did.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk