[Gllug] OT(ish) Domain transfers

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 09:39:31 UTC 2002

Dylan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to transfer a domain (the one this email address is on) away from the
> current hosting company (123-reg) because their email forwarding is somewhat
> flakey. I'll be taking it to plus.net where I already have another domain and
> my ADSL line.
>
> My query is: do I need to un-subscribe from lists etc to avoid bouncing mails
> etc, or can I expect the process to go smoothly?

You shouldn't need to unsubscribe, the transfer should go pretty smoothly.  I
changed the MX record of my hellacool.co.uk domain a while ago and this caused
no problem whatsoever.  After the nameserver details have been updated at the
registry the domain will take about 48 to 72 hours to pretty much completely
move from the old to the new hosts.  Mail (and web) traffic will go to either
the old or new host for this time (more to the old in the beginning, more to the
new by the end).  Make sure you retain the old mail account to pick up any stray
messages that get to the old account for this time, but it should be safe to get
rid of the old account after about 72 hours.  Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk