[Gllug] NFS problem (now this is REALLY p*****g me off!)

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 24 13:37:38 UTC 2002

>as a lot of people have said, nfs under linux sucks, and i tend to agree.
>
>tried a lot of "network fs'es" a while ago and my conclusion was that samba
>was the best on fastest, most reliable and it just worked really well :)

Can't say I've ever had any real problems with NFS. Performace is
sufficiently good that I don't see it as a problem. Sure, perhaps
other NFS implementations or other protocols may be better, but it's
fast enough for the uses I have for it. It's also very reliable.

By far the biggest problem with NFS, though, is that authentication
is done on the client side, which means if I have root access to a box
that's allowed to mount a filesystem, then I can see every file on that
filesystem. That's not a desirable trait...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk