[Gllug] RCS or SCCS

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 12:07:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 12:37:49PM +0100, tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >We use SCCS for all our source, albeit with a multi-user/network-aware tool
> >called TeamWare wrapped round it.  SCCS is a UNIX standard, but isn't there
> >on Linux, if that bothers you...
>
> To an extent, it can be:
>
> 	http://cssc.sourceforge.net/

Works well enough & I use it in preference to RCS. Why:

*	I've been using SCCS for > 20 years
*	The expansion of keywords is nicer than RCS, so you can set the version/level/...
	number directory into a variable in a program w/out haveing to play games extracting
	it from a string -- but you need to be more careful about checking in/out since you will
	occasionally check something in that has the keys expanded.

If you have lots of files and want to coordinate changes between them to make product
releases you could look at aegis.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>