[Gllug] Exim-based disclaimer filter

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 22:47:36 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 20:33, Jim Bailey wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:30:27PM +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:

<snip>

> > It's easy enough to do this with Exim to any email that doesn't have an
> > attachment going out with it, but things get rather more complicated
> > when attachments are involved.  I would have a go writing my own Perl
> > filter that would handle this, but there's bound to be something that I
> > would miss and consequently muck things up.
> >
> I could be wrong and I usually am but this isn't something Exim a MTA
> should be doing.  MTA AFAIK should not be messing with the content of an
> email, you should have the MUA do this as part of the signature.

While you are, IMHO, correct about the appropriate place to put this,
the sad reality of that many lawyer types today insist on disclaimers,
and insist that they be slapped on anything outgoing, without the user's
control. Most MUA's can't be easily configured to deny the user access
to the signature, and so aren't really suitable for this. I have one
friend who runs a sendmail site, and was forced to get libmilter working
to add disclaimers to outgoing messages. His company was ready to
replace the entire mail system with Exchange if he couldn't provide
their legal boilerplate.

To the original posters question - while I can't provide an easy answer
for Exim, you should look at adding the disclaimer as a plain text
attachment to every message - that way you're less likely to screw up
other things. Take look at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang/ for
some ideas.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk