[Gllug] apache virtual hosts

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Jul 11 08:09:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 08:57, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >Automation is good :)
>
> Agreed, although you'll need to remember to add "Options FollowSymLinks".

Well as with anything you need to do the initial configuration correctly
:)

> Playing devil's advocate, though, it's just as easy to automate adding
> Alias lines to a file which is included from your main httpd.conf.

Not forgetting the automated reload :)

> I use mod_alias because our top level build changes on a reasonably
> frequent basis due to the marketing people always wanting changes
> to the web site. The number of aliased directories changes less
> frequently than the other site changes, so it's easier to do it that
> way than to have to repopulate the symlinks in each build. As an
> aside, I use symlinks to point to the main DocumentRoot, which gives
> unparalleled response times should we need to back out to a previous
> version of the site.

We use symlinks on the core boxen to link the massvhosting directories
to the actual live space on the disk and for a few other 'additional'
services.  I'd actually prefer to do those with aliases but that would
require hacking on some particularly nasty build systems which I will
replace some day soon... honest.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/