[Gllug] UK Government software

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 20:27:26 UTC 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:27:58 +0100
Jim Bailey <jim at freesolutions.net> wrote:-
"I wrote to 'the MP for my area'[1] a Ms Harriet Harman in the deluded
believe I may get some answers to my questions regarding Microsoft and
the governments gateway, the report to the UK government on the use of
open source software in the public sector, european governments adoption
of the open source model etc.  My hope was to raise her conciousness
levels hopefully get her to think about a future beyond Microsoft.  I am
still waiting for a reply 4 months later."

Well it shouldn't be for want of a computer. I have heard that after the last
election each MP was given four new computers (two laptops and two desktops,
one of each for themselves and their secretaries) free. [Free as in no
charge, not free as in beer, air or software license]. I don't know any more
than this, but no doubt they were all running Microsoft.  I don't remember
being asked as a voter if I thought this was a good use of taxpayers money.

On another subject - producing a bootable CdRom from an .iso
image. I have recently stuggled, without success, to get a
bootable CD from an IPCop iso image (This is a firewall type of Linux distro
based on Smoothwall). I have now got a collection of cdrom coasters with the
isofile: ipcop-0.1.1.iso burned onto them rather than the installation/boot
disc I am hoping to create. I have been using X-CD-Roast, but I may be better
off using cdrecord from the command line.

As root, if I type
$ cdrecord -scanbus
This returns
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'ARCHIVE ' 'Python 04106-XXX' '7550' Removable Tape
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) 'GENERIC ' 'CRD-BP4         ' '4.28' Removable CD-ROM
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
for my main computer.
The bit I need is 0,4,0.
Thus it should be possible to burn a file onto a CD with the command
cdrecord dev=0,4,0 -v /path/to/file
However, I think I need to pass some other options to cdrecord to make the
CdRom bootable. I would be grateful for any help before I churn out some more
duds from my dwindling supply of writeable Cds.

- --
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk