[Gllug] Modems

Andy Loates andy at the-bizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 21:19:37 UTC 2002

On 10/7/02 Wayne wrote

 >went to PCWORLD last night on an urgent quest for a modem... it
appears that
 >nearly all PCI modems are software based....even the 40 quid ones!!!
and its
 >not really apparent until you get them home....no longer are they called
 >'winmodems'  The clue seems to be looking at the minimum spec for the
 >modem(in this case P166) and possibly the manufacturers website...... so
 >Anyone any reccomendations for a hardware 56K modem???, preferable not
 >serial as my m/b does not like my serial devices and it must be hardware
 >based... I want to use Wincrap and Linux........ USB or PCI

 >Ideas????

Try Diamond PCI Pro Hardware V90 Internal Modem. Used one till recently.
worked fine under Linux.

Scan ( http://www.scan.co.uk/products/index.htm )are currently selling
them at GBP22.65. Doesn't say what stock is. If I could find it (moved
house recently, cant find the damn thing anywhere) you would be welcome
to it. Got the driver disc still if any use.

Cheers

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk