[Gllug] codepage madness

Matt Amos matt.amos at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jul 9 16:43:16 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 08:12:49AM -0400, SteveC wrote:
> * tet at accucard.com (tet at accucard.com) wrote:
> > Is it just xterms? Or do you get the same behaviour with other
> > terminals, such as rxvt, gnome-terminal, etc. What happens if
>
> any terminal

with an small set of terms i have here i produced a file reading "the
symbol £ is just a normal symbol" via echo and then cat'ed it in each
terminal.

--xterm:
matt at debian:~$ cat poundsign
the symbol £ is just a normal symbol

--uxterm: (xterm + unicode support)
matt at debian:~$ cat poundsign
the symbol  is just a normal symbol

--gnome-term:
matt at debian:~$ cat poundsign
the symbol :~$ cat poundsign
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this was also highlighted

--konsole:
matt at debian:~$ cat poundsign
the symbol  is just a normal symbol

so there we have it. xterm is the best. ;)

since steve is running the same software as me and i have not altered
anything from the default install it must be the terminal in question.

cya,

matt

£ PS: apologies to steve, as he probably wont be able to read this ;)

--
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint Exupery

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk