[Gllug] Microsoft 'tnef' files

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 10 10:20:40 UTC 2002

>What is the McQuary Limit? I understand that it's 4 lines (rigidly enforced
>in early versions of Netscape much to my aggravation); but where did the
>name come from  - and why?

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/McQuary-limit.html

It originated from George F. McQuary, a regular poster to the
alt.fan.warlord newsgroup. Note that the 4-line limit was in existence
long before it became associated with McQuary. Indeed, the earliest
reference to a.f.w I could find was from 1991. Pnews would refuse to
post a USENET messsage unless the sig was 4 lines or less at least as
far back as 1988, when I started using it.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk