[Gllug] Signatures

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 10:06:20 UTC 2002

Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Group Ltd / Seacon Terminals Ltd,
Tower Wharf, Northfleet, Kent, DA11 9BD, UK
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946

I am sure all of you are probably correct about signatures going at the
bottom.  But what constitues a signature ??

In a business environment (eg: me !), I would argue that an email is the
electronic equivalent of a letter. And as we all know, letters are typed
on 'letterheads' with a name/address and telephone number at the top and
a signature (ie simple name of the writer) at the foot.

So, our emails are constructed in the same format !

Besides which, if you need the 'sig' to include some sort of disclaimer
(not that I personally believe in including ten tons* of legal gobbledeygook)
*sorry tonnes, then it should be at the top so the recipient reads it BEFORE
the text of the messages.    For example, whats the point of saying, as I
have seen, at the foot, "do not read this if you are not the intend recipient" !

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk