[Gllug] Unkillable process

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 08:30:56 UTC 2002

On Saturday 29 June 2002 17:01, you wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, t. clarke said:
> > Nix wrote:-
> If a process is *ever* in user mode and in D state at the same time,
> it's a truly massive bug: I've never seen it, and I doubt that in
> that state the process would get any time from the scheduler
> (although I haven't checked what the scheduler does in this case, or
> even if it notices).

Ok now for a really dumb question. If you've got a process which is
refusing to die is there any way of telling if it is in kernel space or
user space?
Dumb question no2: If it is in user space is there any way of telling
what it was doing when it hung. Assuming that it is a proprietary app
that you do not have the source for.

I appreciate that these are probably quite involved topics so any
documentation pointers are gratefully received.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk