[Gllug] August LONIX suggestion

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jul 9 11:28:54 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, 9 Jul 2002, Formi wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, David Damerell wrote:
>>400 beers in one room is very odd, but I don't see the problem. As for
>>being ripped off, I'm not sure that putting down 2 quid for a glass
>>that you can get back at the end of the session is really that
>>extortionate. If you _do_ bring your own glass, it's best to ensure
>>it's properly marked with a pint or half-pint marking; it is illegal
>>to serve you in any other measure.
>You missed the point, I didn't see any known beers that I like in
>between those 400, that IS my personal opinion, and probably little
>beer knowledge
>I like strong "toasted" beer, 8%+, and I love Grimbergen Optimo Bruno.

Shock as British beer festival serves British beer! How shameful!

[At that, the Continental beer bar does tend to have a wide selection;
there are a few beers of that strength; and it's not really a very
practical idea to drink 8% beer for any length of time, anyway.]

>Ripped off, I had the privilege of being able to pay for my first
>beer after forking £8.

Further shock as festival "charges admission"! Is there no end to
their perfidity? Clearly this monstrously unfair charge (which you
paid, er, entirely voluntarily) will put people off in droves, and the
festival won't be filled with hordes of people in the way that it, er,
is.

>Why is it illegal to serve in any other measure? Because pubs took
>the punters for a ride for a long, long time.

Given that the Imperial pint measure and stamped glasses date from
1824, I think getting irate about what happened beforehand may be
slightly absurd; and I would point out that CAMRA strive to be
scrupulous about full measure in a way that many pubs are not -
something that, regardless of the law, they can only do with marked
glasses.

>P.S.: If you have any issue with my opinions, I'm afraid it IS your
>problem,

That depends if they make you look like an idiot.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk