[Gllug] Microcode update

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Sat Jul 13 02:42:53 UTC 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >I just downloaded a 2.5.25 kernel, just to have a look.
> >I suppose I'm laughably behind the times, but I see now that there
> >is a facility for updating the microcode on Intel processors.
>
> Laughably behind the times indeed. According to Simon's page
> at http://www.urbanmyth.org/microcode/, you need kernels from
> 2.2.18 or 2.4.0-test1-ac10 onwards. As a bonus, though, you
> know who to hassle when it breaks :-)

Oi!

> On 12 Jul 2002, John HEARNS wrote:
> > Anyway - I'm well impressed. You can now do this on your home machine.
> > Guess home users don't have a USE for it - but impressive.

It's not really for hackers but for administrators... have you looked at the
length of the errata for the pentium pros? <cue insane cackling>

I'm rather philosophical about the whole thing now, people can use it or not
but if Intel released a microcode update for my processors I'd expect they
had a good reason.

I think Debian have had it in unstable for a while (data has an non gpl intel
licence, hence my opinions on debian fanaticism) and I see Redhat 7.3 is
now shipping it, not sure about SuSE?

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk