[Gllug] ipchains and iptables again

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 11:22:38 UTC 2002

I fixed up ipchains on one machine at one end of the network (the ppp
connection to the internet), so thanks, for all those that offered advice
before.

But I still have a problem at the other end - a wireless node.

This was setup, at configuration time, to only allow ssh and http packets to
pass and - as I have now discovered - all that was through ipchains.

(This is a custom built 2.4.18 kernel over an RH 7.3 distro)

But when I run ipchains -L on the box I get this:

[root at electra root]# ipchains -L
ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel

Yet when I run iptables (which is compiled into the kernel) - I get this:

[root at electra root]# /sbin/service iptables start
Flushing all current rules and user defined chains: modprobe: Can't locate
module ip_tables
iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
                                                           [FAILED]
Clearing all current rules and user defined chains: modprobe: Can't locate
module ip_tables
iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
                                                           [FAILED]
Applying iptables firewall rules:                          [  OK  ]
                                                           [  OK  ]

Is this because RH expects a modularised iptables and not a built in version?
(I can't get the kernel to compile packet filtering as a module).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk